Friday, July 21, 2006

Bangalore

On my birthday, I decided to leave Kottayam and continue my visits across Kerala, but this birthday had been so bad I decided to change my plans and I took a bus to Bangalore and rest for a wee while. At night of my 16hour trip in the bus, when most people were asleep, we had a bad accident with a lorry, the front of our bus was slightly smashed and several windows on the right side of the truck had broke.
In my bus there had been many injured by the glass, not the shock of the accident itself.
We had to step out of the truck walk away to the neighboring city and there our bus caught back up with us, they screwed a couple new windows back onto the bus and then we were ready to kick off the rest of the journey.
In Bangalore, for the first couple of days, I didn't do much apart form read, watch the news and all the world cup matches.
But then I decided it was time for a little change. I didn't want any more sight seeing, I was fed up with that instead I decided to go the animated areas of the city and meet up with people, share local people experiences and if possible find a girl friend. I quickly realized that even in Bangalore it was an impossible mission to just find a girlfriend. I had first to meet people to get introduced to girls. So I headed to the MG road and had dinner at Pizza Hut. There I met up with a girl called Veronica and her boyfriend Vikas. I got along quite well and quite quick with them, so as I told them I had to leave to go watch the football match Ecuador vs.England they offered me to come along with them and watch it in a hotel with a couple friends and on a big display. Appealing idea, so without hesitation I agreed. We went to some classy hotel where they had booked a table, met up with 3 others boy friends of this couple, and got drunk together while watching good football.
For the first time of my trip in India I had bacon for munchies, and I shouldn't of eaten any of that because me and Varjun who nearly split the whole portion for ourselves felt very bad food poisoning the next day.

So the next day I stayed locked in my hotel room praying for my stomach acke to leave ASAP, and it did within a day, lucky me.
So I bounced out again and met new people, amongst which Rojan. He was sitting in front of a hotel as I was lloking for a new place to stay, supposd he was looking for a job in Bangalore as he recently graduated with an Elec. and Tel. Eng. diploma. We had a good chat together and he seemed very willing to keep as a friend. So, I invited him for lunch on the next day and he advised me a steak house. First peace of beef I have had in India and even though it was not the best one I had ever eaten, but it just felt so delicious. I then have been looking alaround with my friend for some bookshop who would sell me an old book which I could add to my dad's collection, but it just was impossible to find.
In the evenning I met up with my other group of new friends for another football match, Ger-Ita. So, I had diner with two late 20s couple, we drunk a litlle for diner luckily because when we were finaly done with our meal there was no more alcohol serving in the beautiful hotel we were in, and in Bangalore the rules are very strict. So we watched the match with a cup of coffee because people with me were nackered by their work day and the idea of the next day at work. By the end of the match which ended after additional time, Vikas and Victoria took me back to my hotel. When I got from the car to the front door of my hotel to realize that they had loocked, Vikas and Victoria were already gone. So I decided to reed a book accross the road underneath a street lamp post. I know, I could have knocked on the door and make noise, but to be honest I didn't really mind being outside at night, not only because it was a first experience to stay up at night watch the street animation but also because I had to read more, my book was just too good, The Google Story.
Two hours later a policemen drove by on a motorbike, and stopped by me.
He started telling me that I was not allowed to stay out at night, so he wanted to see my ID which was in my bag, then he asked me what I was carrying in my bag. So I first took ou a couple books, my usual black hand bag which had nothing inside it but pens and paper, then I had my camera, so instead I told him "and my birthday present from my family, the camera I have been using for my trip in India". To that he replied " so I caanot ask you for your camera". Of course not, that was a stupid question. So he asked me what I was carrying in my purse. Luckily it was the end of the night and most people who know me will know that whatever the amount of money I leave with at night, I will come back home with empty pockets. Only IRN 237, which is about 5 dollars. He asked me if I was not carrying any currency from home, but I didn't or so did I let him believe, I just started to speak to him about the beautiful country he had and I started inventing stories, telling him that I had been wotking for 8 months in Calcutta to help the power distribution network develop, and I wxplained him how this was a very valuable cause for the country's prosperity. He directly changed approach and starting asking where was the place I was staying at, so I pointed him accross the road, he parked his bike in the middle of the road and brought me to my hotel and he made noise until someone finally came down to let me in.
The next next day, when I woke u, I met up with Rojan who was watching TV in his hotel and continued the book seek but no luck once again, but I saw something else of interest. There was a fight involving 5 teenagers in a street, the policemen came to intervien in the conflict not because they were fighting as such, but because they were fighting on his street so with a couple hits with his stick, he chassed them out his street to the neighboring street where they continued the fist fight.

No comments: